EDN

0 голосов
спросил 21 Фев, 05 от valery (7,040 баллов) в категории Программные продукты Esri
K G 
Date Feb 17, 2005 
Message Can someone explain to me what the EDN is?
I'm a little confused about the concept. If the intent is to make development cheaper and easier then why should a customer of the software have to ante up more money to get that? It's still in beta and I believe open to anyone to view. I took a quick look at it and maybe I was sleepy but it looks like it's just a new css style sheet with links to old documents.
So if this new paid service links to this forum, how long before this forum goes offline for non-EDN subcribers? 
  K G
Wannabe GIS Superstar 

• Top Print Reply   
Subject Re: EDN - Developer Network 
Author Brian Flood 
Date Feb 17, 2005 
Message hi

EDN has 2 parts, the online website and access to software for development/demo use

Website - pretty simple right now but after talking to several people as ESRI last week, they plan some really nice enhancements. Thankfully the forums will just backdoor into the existing forums, no sense in having different ones. I would expect more articles and ESRI developer webblogs in the future. The site is available to non-members but in the future, there will be members-only content.

Software - This is the real boon for developers and is IMO, why Microsoft is so successful with the MSDN Universal Subscription. For a very reasonable price (per developer), you have access to all of the ESRI server products. You can install them on as many machine as you need. This would include ArcGIS Server (all extentsions), ArcIMS (no extensions, something about 3rd party royalties), ArcSDE and the ArcEngine runtime/SDK. I think they said this is a $67K bundle that you get to use for $1500. That's a bargain and is good for both parties. Developers can easily get started creating advanced apps without the (previously) huge upfront costs while ESRI seeds the market for your eventual clients (or your internal production servers if you have no clients).

No desktop software but some people asked about a premium account that would include ArcView, ArcEditor and ArcInfo. I would assume ESRI will contemplate this in the future.

Basically, they are backending the software costs until you are ready to deploy. I wish they did this years ago...

brian 

1 Ответ

0 голосов
ответил 21 Фев, 05 от valery (7,040 баллов)

Собственно, новый зверь в ESRI завелся.

Ничего так зверек, интересный.

Сколько он у нас стоит?

xbb@mi-perm.ru

Добро пожаловать на сайт Вопросов и Ответов, где вы можете задавать вопросы по GIS тематике и получать ответы от других членов сообщества.